Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dire Straights
















I need some serious feedback on this post. I have some excellent news. My smaller boy, the one who just turned 2 over the summer, came up to me one day. He says, "POOP".

I say, "You want to poop in the potty?"

He nods his head. I take him in there and to my surprise he is clean in his diaper and proceeds to poop on the potty! He does this the next day and the day after that. One day I reminded him and for two weeks straight he does not poop in his pants!!

WooHoo!!!

I decided not to push the issue, but encourage him as much as I could. I tried to get him excited about underwear. He wanted nothing to do with them, but he liked to pick out his own diaper and give it to me to put him in when he was done. I was trying not to get my hopes up, but in the back of me head I am thinking, "Smaller boy will be potty-trained before my 6-yr-old!"

Alas, it is my children, this is my life, and of coarse it does not last. The last three days he has pooped in his pants, without a peep. I had no idea. I couldn't stop it.

I can't help thinking that I lost my window of oppurtunity with this one. I have been potty training constantly for the last 4 years, without success. So yes I have some experience, but nothing has worked for me so far.

What do you guys think I should do on this one. Let it go and work it out later? Try to force underwear on him because now I know he can do it? I have already tried to bribe with treats. I wish I knew what to do. Does anybody have any advise for me besides telling me that I totally screwed this one up by not doing something ealier?

4 comments:

Nyree said...

I think this happens to a lot of kids. My daughter did this too. I would get upset when she would poop in her pants. I finally realized that it wasn't helping. I'm not implying that youre getting upset. I just learned that positive reinforcement is all that will work with kids. Bribery has never worked for me with potty training either. I don't know why potty training has to be such a hard thing. my 4 year old had been perfectly potty trained for way over a year and all of a sudden she started peeing in her pants. You'd think I'd remember not to get upset but I did. When I started praising the heck out of her when she peed in the toilet, she finally stopped. I don't know Kara, I could just be full of crap. Every kid is different and one thing will never work on all kids. But I've learned that kids will take any attention they can get whether good or bad. So I just try to praise them for the good so they want it more. I really do wish you luck!!!

Telena said...

Ummmm . . . . . . . I got nothin. Besides, you know my child, so would you want my advice anyway? :)

Melody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melody said...

The oldest boy has a few accidents but is trained. The girl has very few accidents. You and the man are the ones with sharting problems.