Sunday, August 23, 2009

Detergent

Thanks to my super sister in law, I have just made my own laundry detergent. I know, I know, you all are sooooo jealous. It is great. It is so cheap and easy. My clothes come out of the wash clean and fresh. No dyes, perfumes, or harsh chemicals. Just clean. Heres the recipe if any of you are dying to try it:

equal parts soda wash and borax

equal parts powder mixture and grated fells Naptha Bar (or Ivory soap)

for example: I used:

1 cup borax
1 cup soda wash
2 cups grated ivory soap

Use 2 Tablespoons per full load.

Ya, you're jealous.

6 comments:

Melody said...

I'm making it. Self sustaining---that's what we are.

Erika W said...

I have a neighbor who has started making all of her own stuff, like detergent and deodorant, and even shampoo. We've been teasing her that she's only one homemade product away from dawning a hippie dress, taking off her bra, and smoking a peace pipe while she dances barefoot on the front lawn!

No really, I think it's a fabulous idea. My kids and I have super sensitive skin, so maybe I should give it a try. Thanks for the recipe!

Katie said...

I have made this before and still have the ingredients to make it again! I found out that the Fels Naptha is pretty toxic stuff though -- it can be really bad for your respiratory tract when you grate it. So Ivory Soap is probably the way to go :-D

Sara Boulter said...

So groovy. I'll have to try it. The thing that gets me is the 2 T per load! That's nothing! So cool.

Mills Family said...

That is so awesome! Thanks for sharing!! I actually have neighbor who makes her own laundry detergent. I'll have to try it too. :)

Melonie Harris said...

I have heard about this!! You really think it works just as good??!!