Saturday, September 29, 2007

Victorious over violence (for now)



I feel that I am not a violent person, and would like to do the best to pass this trait on to my children and teach them that violence is not the answer. I do not allow toy guns in my house. Guns are not toys and should not be used as such. We do not play war games or shooting games.
It is however , important to teach children about guns and why we do not use them in this manner, and I don't mind them playing at other children's houses with guns as long as I can teach them the lesson. I cannot control what toys other children play with.

To my surprise a few days ago, we were at the in-laws and the boy was playing with a couple of action-figures. They were facing each other. As all boys are innately blessed with the gift of amazing sound effects, he was producing some serious blow-up sound effects and some that definitely sounded like the shooting of a gun. One of the action-figures was then knocked down by a pudgy little hand. Thinking that this would be a great time to teach a lesson, I asked what was happening.

"Well mommy, this guy just got squirted."

Lesson over.
Victorious. (for now)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.